Saturday, May 2, 2009

Rest







Today I have done absolutely nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Nada. Well, I showered and ate breakfast. But that's about it. And it has been wonderful.


Last week was the second week of classes, and things were, predictably, crazy. Professors changed their minds about syllabi, room mates made life-changing choices with all the emotion that goes with it, the weather raged and rumbled and soothed, and above all, I ran around like a headless specimen of poultry. Life moved so fast I couldn't keep my head on straight. I found myself praying for the physical strength to bear the walk up the hill one more time, for my mind to un-fry itself long enough to grasp one last concept, and for my attitude to rise above the petty grumbles and snarkiness I am prone to.


And then today came. I went to a late show last night with a roomie, and then fell into bed. And slept. And slept. And slept. I slept for close to twelve hours, got up for one, and fell back into the comforting world of down blankets and fluffy pillows. I woke up and my roomies made fun of me for sleeping like an overexhausted two year old. Which, for all intents and purposes, I was. But I have a point to this post.


I have found that I need seasons of rest. Life is exciting and breathtaking and invigorating. But sometimes I need a timeout. I need to rest and regroup, to center myself again in the quiet sluggishness of a rainy Saturday afternoon, and to pool my resources for another trying day. And I think that the Lord recognizes this in me. As I look back (not that I have that far to look back), I can see periods of frenzied activity, followed by quiet, peaceful, routine months. Maybe I need to learn to do that for myself- learn to be still. I can learn to balance the frenetic pace of my life with a quiet half hour in the morning for me and the Lord to talk; to pause as I scurry to class and admire the beautiful grounds; to really listen in devotional- not only to what the speaker has to say, but more importantly to what the Spirit would have me know. I need to slow down at the end of the day and truly thank my Father for His innumerable blessings and tender mercies. I need to savor my scriptures, not regard them as the last hurdle in a seemingly neverending day. I need to get on my knees and say prayers of simple gratitude, not asking for a single thing.

This is what I should do, and I know it. And I recognize that I need to do it. I'm trying my best to do as I should, and I hope the Lord knows that. But today, smelling the rain and listening to it fall, I'll just rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment